Method Skillet Scalloped Potatoes: Plain potatoes get a cheesy flavor boost when covered in melted Gruyere, garlic, and thyme.
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ – 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a 9 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and reduce heat to low. Once the butter melts, add in the flour and whisk for 30 seconds. Add in the garlic, thyme, a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk in the milk until smooth. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour the milk mixture into a separate bowl.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes in the skillet in an overlapping spiral pattern. Season each layer with a bit of salt and pepper, and sprinkle cheese between every layer of the potatoes.
- Pour the milk mixture back over the potatoes and then cover the top layer of potatoes with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes until top is golden.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve!