Method Roasted Chickpea Gyro, Roasted chickpeas make this simple sandwich recipe super filling. Wrapped in fluffy pita bread, this works for a late lunch or early dinner.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas 425 g, 1 ½ cup soaked chickpeas if starting from dry, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika* 6.8 g
- 1 tsp ground black pepper 3 g
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1.5 g
- ¼ tsp salt 1.4 g
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki (click for recipe) 250 g, use ⅓ recipe if you’re just making it for these gyros
- ¼ red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off.
Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees F (200 C) for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!
*If you don’t like spicy foods, halve the amount paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taste a chickpea before baking and adjust flavors as needed.
If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble your sandwich immediately after microwaving.
If you liked these gyros, you may also like these Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados!