Hot Cross Buns The Healthy: The healthiest and most delicious hot cross buns you ever will taste! Easter is a season filled with yummy family meals and treats absolutely everywhere! In fact, the holiday is practically dedicated to baskets filled with chocolatey, sugary indulgences. If you are health conscious, there’s no need to deprive yourself during this time! Enjoy these divine hot cross buns instead – gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free with a hint of spice and zesty citrus. Plus the most amazing dark chocolate finishing touch – enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp mixed spice
- Zest of 1 small orange (optional)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 eggs (2 for the mixture, 1 for glazing)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice, orange zest and coconut sugar in a medium bowl, stirring well to remove any lumps.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, honey, 2 eggs and vanilla in a jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the raisins and stir to combine.
- Roll 1/4 cup worth of mixture into a bun shape and add to baking tray. Repeat with rest of mixture.
- Whisk remaining egg and using a pastry brush, brush each bun with a little egg to glaze.
- Add to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before piping a cross on each bun with the melted dark chocolate (A little trick I use is to add the dark chocolate to a snaplock bag and then cut off a tiny corner using scissors. Then pipe the chocolate straight onto the bun.)